Kerak Castle (قلعة الكرك) is a large Crusader castle located in the town of al-Karak, Jordan. It is one of the largest crusader castles in the Levant. Construction of the castle began in the 1140s, under Pagan and Fulk, King of Jerusalem. The Crusaders also called it Crac des Moabites or “Karak in Moab.” It was also known as Krak of the Desert. The castle fell to Saladin in the 12th century. The castle was enlarged by the Mamluks, and later taken by the Ayyuibids. Much of the castle was destroyed in 1840 during the peasants’ revold in Palestine. In 1893 the Ottomans reestablished control of the castle.