Documentary Film based on Gibson's book: Qur'anic Geography
 

 

The Sacred City from Glasshouse Media on Vimeo.

 

Araq Al Amir in Wadi Sier

 
Josephus writes in Antiquities of the Jews, (12,IV,II) that a certain Hyrcanus, in the time of Seleucus IV(187-175 BC) built a strong building of white stone, surrounded by a fine park and lake. On it's walls were representations of animals. On the valley walls he made caves for banquet rooms, supplied with running water. He called it Tyre, which some historians feel eventually became Syr or Sur in Arabic. The building was later used in the fourth to fifth century, during the Byzantine era, when it was remodeled and much of the original interior decorations destroyed. All that remains of the original animals is a lion carved in white and pink breccia stone.

Above: The nearby hills are covered with caves.

The rock on the left is located in the Wadi Seir valley. It is condsidered by some to be a Colombarium (as shown by Horsfield "Sela - Petra The Rock City of Edom and Nabataean" in Quarterly of the Department of Antquities of Palestine 8 (1938), P.87 - 115.) Thank you to Dr. Younis Shdaifat, Department of Archaeology & Tourism, Mutah University, Kerak - Jordan for sharing this.

Roman Arabia Amman (Philadelphia)
Pella (Decapolis) Jerash (Decapolis)
Roman Gaza Roman Roads
Wadi Sier  Mukawir
Gadara (Um Qais)   Pella