- Stops on the
- Al Uyaynah
- Northern Desert Trek
- Southern Desert Trek
- Further Information
- The Incense Sea Route
- The picture above was taken by Greg Fisher, (Humeima
|A Nabataean settlement was discovered in Wadi
Rumm by G. Horsfield and excavated by himself in the early 1930s.
Later in May 1959 D. Kirkbride conducted another excavation.
In 1962 the Department of Antiquities began a large-scale clearing
operation, exposing more than 2800 square meters of antiquities.
However, an earthquake in 1995 caused the area severe damage.
The ruins in Wadi Rumm include a temple, several villas, and
||Within the construction materials of the Nabataean
temple was a stone that was reused from a previous structure.
This stone contained a Thamudic inscription referring to the
construction of a sanctuary for Lat. The main Nabataean temple
was erected around the first century BC. A Latin inscription
was attached to an alter, indicating that the temple was in use
in the first half of the third century.
- Inscriptions around the temple and at the springs were left
by various workmen, masons, sculptors and architects.
|Wadi Rumm (Iram) is first mentioned by Cl. Ptolemaeus
in his list of cities in Arabia Felix. (Aramava-Geogr., 6.7.27).
Above the site, on Rumm Mountain are several natural springs.
From these springs Nabataean aqueducts carried water down to
two cisterns. A second canal system came from Ayn Abu Rumayleh,
down through the temple hillside to the eastern complex and its