Pictures 1902 - 1960

Locomotive Stock

 Locomotives

 Schedules

 Rolling Stock

 Multi-Media Items

 

Documentary Film based on Gibson's book: Qur'anic Geography
 

 

The Sacred City from Glasshouse Media on Vimeo.

Ras al Naqab on the Hejaz Railway

Main Menu 
History
Maps & Stations
Book Reviews
People Involved
Personal Stories
Satellite Images
Reader's Comments
 Station Stops
Damascus
New Damascus Stn.
Cadem
Cadem Workshop
Cadem Yard
Cadem Roundhouse 
Cardem Museum
Kiswe
Deir Ali
Masmie
Jebab
Khabab
Muhaje
Izra
Ghazale
Dera'a
Dera'a Yard
Nasib
Mafraq
Samra
Zarqa
Amman
Qasir
Lebben
Jiza
Dabaa
Khan Zebib
Sawaka
Qatrana
Sultana
Furaifir
Hassa
Jerowf Darwish
Unayza
Wadi Jirdan
Maan
Ghadir aI-Hajj
Bir Shidiya
Aqabat Hijaz
Batn al-Ghul
Wadi Retme
Tel Shahm
Ramlah
Mudawwara
Khalat Ammar
Dhat al Hajj
Bir Hermas
Hazm
Maktab
Tabuk
Wadi Atil Bridge
Wadi Atil
Dar Hajj
Qurayn Ghazal
Mustabka'a
Ahzar
Khamis
Al Asad
Mua'zzum
Khashim Sana'a
Dar Hamra
Al Muttala
Abu Taqah
Muzzaham
Mubaraka Taka
Mada'in Salih
Madain Salih Museum
Wadi al Hashish
Al Ula
Al-Bedai
Mashad
Sahal Matran
Zumrud
Bir Jedid
Tuwayrah
Wayban
Mudaraj
Hadiyah
Jida'ah
Abu Na'am
Antar
Buwayr
Bir Nasif
Buwat
Hafirah
Mouhit
Medina
Inside Medina St.
Medina Museum
Medina Locomotives

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Ras al Naqab station was built in the 1930's in order to transfer potash from rail cars to trucks. These trucks then transported the phosphate over the Naqab Escarpment to Dabat Hannout some 3000 feet below. From there the trucks traveled via Humeima to Aqaba where the phosphate was loaded onto ships for export.

The Ma'an to Ras al Naqab line was abandoned in the 1970's when the mining companies constructed a new train line that passed around the end of the Naqab escarpment and back through Wadi Rumm and then into Aqaba. The rail lines to Naqab were then removed, but the platform and storage facilities remain in Ras al Naqab to this day. Today Ras al Naqab is a sleepy Jordanian desert village. The old haj that runs the local store still remembers the hey-days of Naqab. The Government Rest House and Police Station have been taken over by the AnNour Clinic for Chest Diseases. Visitors are welcome to drive up to the clinic and photograph the view over the edge of the cliff. (Below) As you can see, the 3000 foot drop made it impossible for a rail line to go farther.

 
Above: The new highway over the Naqab Escarpment is several kilometers east.

 

 
 
Above: The unloading facilities in Ras al Naqab
Above: Local boys playing in the water reservoir. To the far right you can see the old phosphate storage facilities.
Above: A Government Rest house was built on the edge of the cliff, so that travelers could stop for something to eat. Today the rest house is a clinic for chest diseases. Tourists are free to stop by and photograph the desert below.

Other Rail Lines and Miscellaneous Pages

 Dera to Haifa Line
Haifa
Balad al-Shaykh
Tel El Shamam
Afula
Bisan
Jisr al-Majami
Yarmouk Valley
Samakh
El Hamma
Zeizoun
Tel Esh Shebab
Muzerib
Dera'a

 Ma'an to Ras al Naqb Line
Ma'an to Ras al Naqb Line
Ma'an
Abu Lissan
Ras al Naqab

 Jerusalem to Jaffa Line
Jerusalem
Malcha Station under construction 
New line under construction
Jaffa

Miscellaneous
Miscellaneous
The Amman to Damascus Trip
Wadi Rum

Dera-Bosra Line
Dera'a
Garez Junction
El Taibeh Station
El Taibeh Bridge
Gasim Junction
Bosra Station
Bosra Citadel
 Damascus - Mezrib Line
 Damascus Midan
 Daraya
Sahnaya
 Kiswe
 Khan Denum
 Zerakie
 Ghabaghib
 Sanamein
 Kuneiye
 Kuteibe
 Sheikh Miskin
 Obta
 Dael
 Tafas
 Mezerib
 Damascus - Beruit
Damascus Baramke
Dumar
Hame
Jedeide
Ain Fije
Deir Kanum
Wadi Barada
Wadi Barada Tunnel
Et Tekkie Hatt
Zebdani
Serghaya
Rayak
Haush Hala / Moallaka
Said Neil/ Jedita / Mrejatt
Deir elBeidar/Ain Sofar
Bhamdun/Manchra/ Aleih
Areiyah / Jamhur
Baabda / Hadeth / Beirut