The Hejaz Railway Header

 Pictures 1902 - 1960

Locomotive Stock

 Locomotives

 Schedules

 Rolling Stock

 Multi-Media Items

Documentary Film based on Gibson's book: Qur'anic Geography
 

 

The Sacred City from Glasshouse Media on Vimeo.

Ma'an to Ras al Naqab Branch Line
Main Menu 
History
Maps & Stations
Book Reviews
People Involved
Personal Stories
Satellite Images
Reader's Comments
 Station Stops
Damascus
New Damascus Stn.
Cadem
Cadem Workshop
Cadem Yard
Cadem Roundhouse 
Cardem Museum
Kiswe
Deir Ali
Masmie
Jebab
Khabab
Muhaje
Izra
Ghazale
Dera'a
Dera'a Yard
Nasib
Mafraq
Samra
Zarqa
Amman
Qasir
Lebben
Jiza
Dabaa
Khan Zebib
Sawaka
Qatrana
Sultana
Furaifir
Hassa
Jerowf Darwish
Unayza
Wadi Jirdan
Maan
Ghadir aI-Hajj
Bir Shidiya
Aqabat Hijaz
Batn al-Ghul
Wadi Retme
Tel Shahm
Ramlah
Mudawwara
Khalat Ammar
Dhat al Hajj
Bir Hermas
Hazm
Maktab
Tabuk
Wadi Atil Bridge
Wadi Atil
Dar Hajj
Qurayn Ghazal
Mustabka'a
Ahzar
Khamis
Al Asad
Mua'zzum
Khashim Sana'a
Dar Hamra
Al Muttala
Abu Taqah
Muzzaham
Mubaraka Taka
Mada'in Salih
Madain Salih Museum
Wadi al Hashish
Al Ula
Al-Bedai
Mashad
Sahal Matran
Zumrud
Bir Jedid
Tuwayrah
Wayban
Mudaraj
Hadiyah
Jida'ah
Abu Na'am
Antar
Buwayr
Bir Nasif
Buwat
Hafirah
Mouhit
Medina
Inside Medina St.
Medina Museum
Medina Locomotives

During the construction of the Hijaz railroad in 1908, drilling crews discovered phosphate rock deposits along various parts of the railway. However, since phosphate was not considered a very valuable resource, it was never explored or developed further.

Some years later in 1926, a young Jordanian man, Amin Kawar established the first pharmacy in the city of Amman. Amin also had an avid interest in geology and mining, and so he began digging for valuable minerals in the hope of brining wealth to his country. On October 31, 1935 he rediscovered phosphates in the railway cuttings near the town of Ruseifa.

Amin's discovery led to the establishment of the Trans-Jordan Phosphate Company, which by 1939 was exporting to the outside world through the port of Haifa in Palestine. Exports were suspended due to the outbreak of the Second World War. After the 1948 Arab-Israeli war, phosphate was exported via Beirut and eventually to Aqaba.

Eventually the Jordan Phosphate Company was established (March 1949) and four mines came into operation, although the Al-Ruseifa mine ceased production in 1985. (Al-Hassa Mine, 1962, Al-Abiad and Eshidiya 1988)

In order to transport the phosphate to the coast for export a rail line was needed. Since the source of the phosphate was taken from immediately beside the Hejaz Railway a plan was put in place to transport the phosphate south to Ma'an using the existing rail line. Australian troops in 1942 then constructed a branch line south from Ma'an, passing the well of Abu Lissan and ending up at the edge of a cliff. At this point, a new town was formed, and the station was named after the shape of the hill that extended into the cliff. It was called Ras al Naqab. "The head of the calf." This station soon became a boom town as other goods as well as passengers started arriving.

The phosphate was unloaded at Ras al Naqab into a storage building where it was re-loaded onto trucks. These trucks then took the phosphate over the cliff, using a winding and treacherous road that led them to Dabatt Hanout at the bottom of the cliff. From here the trucks carried the phosphate down the British constructed road through Humeima to the port of Aqaba where it was loaded onto ships for export. The 88 kilometer trip from Ras al Naqab to Aqaba took the drivers a full day to navigate.

Trucks unloading in Aqaba

Above: Trucks unloading phosphate onto a ship in Aqaba

The Ma'an to Ras al Naqab line was abandoned in the 1970's when the mining companies constructed a new train line that passed around the end of the Naqab escarpment and back through Wadi Rumm and then into Aqaba. The rail lines to Naqab were then removed, but the platform and storage facilities remain in Ras al Naqab to this day.

Below are links to pictures of Ma'an, Abu Lissan and Ras al Naqab

 

 

Other Rail Lines and Miscellaneous Pages

 Dera to Haifa Line
Haifa
Balad al-Shaykh
Tel El Shamam
Afula
Bisan
Jisr al-Majami
Yarmouk Valley
Samakh
El Hamma
Zeizoun
Tel Esh Shebab
Muzerib
Dera'a

 Ma'an to Ras al Naqb Line
Ma'an to Ras al Naqb Line
Ma'an
Abu Lissan
Ras al Naqab

 Jerusalem to Jaffa Line
Jerusalem
Malcha Station under construction 
New line under construction
Jaffa

Miscellaneous
Miscellaneous
The Amman to Damascus Trip
Wadi Rum

Dera-Bosra Line
Dera'a
Garez Junction
El Taibeh Station
El Taibeh Bridge
Gasim Junction
Bosra Station
Bosra Citadel
 Damascus - Mezrib Line
 Damascus Midan
 Daraya
Sahnaya
 Kiswe
 Khan Denum
 Zerakie
 Ghabaghib
 Sanamein
 Kuneiye
 Kuteibe
 Sheikh Miskin
 Obta
 Dael
 Tafas
 Mezerib
 Damascus - Beruit
Damascus Baramke
Dumar
Hame
Jedeide
Ain Fije
Deir Kanum
Wadi Barada
Wadi Barada Tunnel
Et Tekkie Hatt
Zebdani
Serghaya
Rayak
Haush Hala / Moallaka
Said Neil/ Jedita / Mrejatt
Deir elBeidar/Ain Sofar
Bhamdun/Manchra/ Aleih
Areiyah / Jamhur
Baabda / Hadeth / Beirut

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Nabataea.net footer with menu items